Solid supported liquid/liquid extraction (SLE) is a fast effective sample preparation technique that provides considerable benefits over liquid/liquid extraction (LLE) protocols for removal of phospholipids from biological samples.
- Greater reproducibility and recoveries compared to LLE techniques
- Prevents emulsification often associated with LLE as the sample and water immiscible solvents are not in direct contact
- Reduced solvent requirements compared to LLE
- Can be completely automated unlike LLE
- Improved cleanliness of sample extract compared to protein precipitation techniques
- Improved sensitivity compared to protein precipitation techniques